The covered bridge in Kennetcook was famous because it was the last remaining covered
bridge in Nova Scotia before it was torn down and replaced in 1967. It was originally
built in 1873 after many petitions to the government asking for a bridge. The bridge
was needed to provide easier access to get products such as gypsum, cordwood and
timber to Selma for shipping.
The timber for the bridge was cut from surrounding land and made into planks. The
iron for the ironwork arrived in inch bars and was cut with a coal cutter by the
local blacksmith and forged into the needed shaped and sizes. The stones for the
approaches came from the Gore quarry.
There were two reasons for covering the bridge. The first was that it was believed
that stubborn livestock would readily cross a covered bridge because it looked like
a barn and the second was because the roof helped to preserve the materials.
The bridge was lit with a lantern at each end at night. The lantern was filled with
oil and burned until midnight. After midnight, the lanterns were either refilled
or taken home.